Feminist Book Fortnight: Saturday 16th June to Saturday 30th June
In celebration of Vote 100, the hundredth anniversary of women in the UK getting the vote, a group of radical and independent bookshops is launching Feminist Book Fortnight, a celebration of feminist books.
There has been an explosion of new feminist publishing in the last two to three years. Books by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Laura Bates, Mary Beard, Laurie Penny, Rebecca Solnit, 404Ink,and many others have become bestsellers. Younger feminists are also discovering feminist classics by writers and activists such as Audre Lorde, whose writing was recently republished in the UK by Silver Press.
Independent bookshops around the country will be highlighting the diversity of feminist books over two weeks in June. There will be displays of books and events. Here are some of the bookshops involved in Feminist Book Fortnight. We expect many more to join in.
- Beckenham Bookshop, Beckenham, Kent
- The Big Comfy Bookshop, Coventry
- The Big Green Bookshop, London
- Bookmarks, London
- Bookseller Crow On The Hill, London
- The Bookshop Kibworth, Leicestershire
- Brick Lane Bookshop, London
- Bridport Bookshop, Bridport, Dorset
- The Broadway Bookshop, Hackney
- Burley Fisher Books, London
- Drake The Bookshop, Stockton-on-Tees
- Five Leaves Bookshop, Nottingham
- Forum Books, Corbridge, Northumberland
- Golden Hare Books, Edinburgh
- Gay’s the Word, London
- Housmans Bookshop, London
- Imagined Things, Harrogate
- Lighthouse, Edinburgh
- New Beacon Books, London
- Newham Bookshop, London
- News From Nowhere, Liverpool
- October Books, Southampton
- Pages of Hackney, London
- Red Lion Bookshop, Colchester
- Rhyme and Reason, Sheffield
- Rogan’s Books, Bedford
- Scarthin Books, Cromford, Derbyshire
- Warwick Books, Warwick
- Wenlock Books, Shropshire
- West End Lane Books, London
Please note: there is no central event organisation for this promotion. Each bookshop will be doing whatever they wish to do as part of this promotion and we have invited them to place details of their events on the Facebook page.
Publishers: participating bookshops will be approaching you! However, please do contact participating bookshops if you could offer an appropriate author event. Please do remember to contact bookshops outside London!